Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Praying mantis: A day in the life of an insect

In February I decided to get a new pet. This was not an easy decision, because I am very busy and hard working. Because of my interest in Insects I decided to get Praying Mantis.

I started to pull out as much information as possible from different resources (Internet, Books, Blogs, etc). I quickly came in contact with a guy in Vienna who keeps two different species himself. Right now I have six of them and I am very enthusiastic about my new babies!!

1. Phyllocrania paradoxa: 

This species is a Ghost Mantis, remarkable for its leaf-like body. Compared to many other Mantis, the Ghost Mantis is a "miniature species" growing to only 45 to 50mm long. They molt approximately every 3-5 weeks until the 4th molt. The Ghost Mantis really does live up to its name. The eerie, ghost like figure, and the slow, creepy movements.


2. Popa Spurca

Also known as the African Twig Mantis, is a species of praying mantis native to Africa. It takes 
its common name from its resemblance to twig from a woody plant and grows up to 8 cm long if female or 7 cm long if male. This is a highly aggresive species and therefore need to be fed well to prevent cannibalization.

I decided to get the Popa Spurca, because this kind of mantis is easy to keep and therefore suitable for beginners. This guideline helped me to grow my mantis very quick:

Step 1: Place the praying mantis in an appropriate terrarium. Be sure to provide plants and sticks for the mantis to climb on.
Step 2: Keep a dish filled with a little water in the habitat. The praying mantis may or may not drink from it, but it will provide water when needed.
Step 3: Feed the mantis with live insects. A baby mantis will feed on fruit flies, you can purchase in a pet shop. Adults can live on crickets, but you should provide some variety to the diet of your pet in order to keep it healthy.
Step 4: Feed a baby mantis with fresh food daily. Adults should eat twice a week. Remove any food that is not eaten after insect is done with its meal.
Step 5: Watch the praying mantis to see when it sheds its exoskeleton. Remove the exoskeleton when the shedding is over.
Step 6: Mist the habitat with water on a weekly basis. This provides humidity for the insect.
Step 7: Clean the habitat weekly. To do this, place the praying mantis in a safe container and wash out the habitat using a solution that is 3 percent bleach, 97 percent water. Rinse the tank thoroughly to remove any bleach.

For me praying mantis are great and highly interesting pets and I am taking care about them very well. The most interesting species for me is Idolomantis diabolica. This species can grow up to 13 cm, but is maybe not that easy to keep. Maybe it is better, to start with a species that suitable for beginners because even if it is "just" an insect, it can also feel pain and stress. 

I will keep you up to date with my Popa Spurca and pictures will follow soon! Let me know if I can help you with information! Love&Peace Stefan


No comments:

Post a Comment